Saturday 16 August 2014

It's All in the Look

I'm highly prized but fragile.  That's generally how it's termed.  It comes from the fact my Kindling is linked with glass.  You would normally find that most Kindlers are fond of wood, maybe clay.  GlassSmithing with the aim of grabbing power isn't really a time honored tradition any more.

Not since the Fall.  I can't say I mind.

I do mind my dress, however.  Marcus dressed me himself, made sure my hair was placed appropriately, that the family ownership tattoos were displayed to their best effect.  When I noted that I would be trussed up like a pheasant, I wasn't aware of how right I would be.  Apparently Marcus has decided to play on my impression of being fragile by incorporating feathers into my clothing.  'His little bird' he called me, fluffing my likewise brown hair.

It'll be hell to get the feathers out of my hair later.  Marcus doesn't really think about that as much as he thinks about the image I present for his family.  But that's what I'm for.  Against my shadow-paled skin, the brown and russet feathers look almost tawny, edged with gold.  That might, in part, be because I look in the reflections of polished brass.

I try to not look in glass mirrors.  I'm scared of what might look back.

*~*~* ON THE FALL *~*~*

Ah, the Fall. The night terror that the nobility like to lord over us with.  Not that it didn't happen.  There's too much evidence, too many accounts that show you that it did. . . right?  Well, here's the big secret.  Here's the thing that the nobility, the benevolent ruling class never mentioned to the masses.

The Kindlers and Keepers are figureheads.  They have no power, not since The Fall.

That's right.  It's all a lie.

And then there's me.  I'm Stella and I'm a grand secret.  Marcus says I'm a Glass Kindler based on a pile of dusty books that haven't seen the light of day for ages.  I'm not so sure.  I don't even know what I do, let alone how to classify myself.  All I know is that it gives me some headaches that I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemies.

Given that I belong to a noble family, I have a few enemies.  By default.  Some people inherit pretty necklaces or massive debt.  I inherited enemies of Marcus' family.

. . . Hurrah.

1 comment:

  1. Nice little ending there on the "hurrah." You've got a punchy little flow going here, as always.

    You spit snark.

    And there you go, creating another world. You jackhole.

    ReplyDelete